Vancouver Massage Therapist Article of the Week: What is Craniosacral Therapy?
What is Craniosacral therapy? Craniosacral therapy a modality or approach focused on manually releasing the cranium, spine, and meninges (layers of connective tissue surrounding the brain and spinal cord) which is used by trained practitioners across many healthcare professions. At Broadway Wellness, and other Vancouver clinics, practitioners such as Vancouver Massage Therapists, Osteopaths, Chiropractors, Physiotherapists, may take post-graduate training to offer Craniosacral therapy as a technique. Craniosacral therapy is considered to be an Osteopathic technique. It was developed by an Osteopath, A.T. Still, in the late 1800’s, further developed by another Doctor of Osteopathy, W.G. Sutherland, and brought to the mainstream in North America by J. E. Upledger in the 1970’s.
Read Further about Craniosacral Therapy in the article below, quoted from The Cranial Therapy Centre based out of Toronto, or clinic the link below to visit their site.
“Craniosacral Therapy is becoming a treatment of choice in areas of pain, rehabilitation and neurology. Also called CST, or cranial osteopathy, it is a gentle, non-invasive, hands-on technique, developed by an American osteopathic physician almost one hundred years ago.
CST theory and practice is based on understanding the continuous subtle movements of the cranial bones, which result in a rhythm of approximately six to twelve cycles per minute. This rhythm is understood as a response to cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) fluctuations within the spinal cord and brain environment. The subtle movement extends outward to the entire body, in response to the fluid pressure changes around the Central Nervous System.
A therapist gently works with the whole body including the spine and the skull, and its cranial sutures, diaphragms, and fascia. By using the hands as fine discriminating tools, Craniosacral therapists are able to detect disturbances in the cranial sacral rhythm to help them identify areas of dysfunction, such as cranial, sutural, membrane and other soft tissue restrictions in the body.
Patients remain clothed during a treatment and treatments generally are one hour long.
A treatment works in the following ways:
- Helps restore normal cranial mobility;
- Releases abnormal myofascial restrictions and tensions in the body;
- Releases abnormal restrictions in the head;
- Eases restrictions of nerves;
- Optimizes cerebrospinal fluid movement through the central nervous system; and
- Helps restore misaligned bones to their proper positions (assisting troubles associated with the head, back, neck, hips, shoulders, arms, hands, knees and feet)
Craniosacral Therapy is beneficial for all ages from Infant to the Elderly:
- Birth traumas and other perinatal challenges;
- Infant latching and feeding difficulties;
- Recurrent ear infections;
- Facial asymmetries and eye motor problems;
- Learning disabilities, A.D.D., A.D.H.D;
- Gross and fine motor problems;
- Developmental delays, autism;
- Concussion, and post concussion symptoms;
- Tinnitus, hearing loss and vertigo;
- TMJ syndrome;
- Stress disorders and insomnia;
- Muscle and joint pain or injury; and
- Many neurological conditions and pain syndromes.”
Article credit: The Cranial Therapy Centre 2 Carlton St, Suite 1004
Toronto, Ontario M5B 1J3
At Broadway Wellness, a Vancouver Massage Therapy clinic which is Integrative, also offering Naturopathic Medicine, Registered Acupuncture, and Osteopathy, several of our practitioners – both Vancouver RMT’s and RMT’s in the Osteopathic Training program, work with their clients using Craniosacral Therapy.
The Practitioners that offer this modality at Broadway Wellness are:
Cara Marks – RMT
Char Hunter – RMT
Jennifer Keene – RMT
Laura Rivere – RMT
Laura Schroeder – RMT
Mai Holmes – RMT
Maya Bleiler – RMT
Monica Cleland – RMT
Pia Sutter – RMT
Alison Ritchie – RMT
Broadway Wellness is a multi-disciplinary healthcare clinic that has been serving the Fairview and VGH area’s of Vancouver, BC since 2004. Our Vancouver clinic provides the services of highly trained and well-reviewed practitioners in the areas of Registered Massage Therapy, Naturopathic Medicine, and Registered Acupuncture.