Pregnancy is a wonderful thing but it also can come with its fair share of discomforts. One way to ease those pains is through massage. Prenatal massage is similar to regular massage therapy. However, a prenatal treatment focuses primarily on relaxing tense muscles, easing sore spots, improving circulation and mobility, and relieving mental and physical fatigue. As such, prenatal massage can benefit many mothers-to-be.
The articles Benefits of Prenatal Massage from Massage Magazine, and Prenatal massage: Help for your pregnancy aches and pains from babycenter show a list of all the possible benefits of prenatal massage. Below are some of the most beneficial and more interesting advantages of prenatal massage:
- Improves mood and lower stress levels by releasing endorphins
- Reduces prenatal depression and anxiety
- Lower the risk of preterm birth and low birth weight in infants of women with prenatal depression
- Alleviates stress on weight-bearing joints and musculo-fascial structures
- Assists in remedying many of the common discomforts experienced during pregnancy such as pain and stiffness
- Increases blood circulation
- Assists in maintaining good posture and adjusting to a change in alignment caused by the growing baby
- Drug-free alternative for pain relief
Another point of note is the massage position. The way you will be laying is different from traditional massage. Lying face down while pregnant can be uncomfortable for some later in the pregnancy. Most women find it more comfortable to lie on their side with ample pillow support, but your Registered Massage Therapist can also set up a special pillow system that is placed on the treatment table to support your body without undue pressure on the belly and chest which can allow you to lie facedown for a time.
As always, it is very important to keep your RMT up to date with any changes in your health when you attend your prenatal massage therapy appointment. This includes your pregnancy-related health, and everything else! This clear communication doesn’t stop when the treatment starts. Let your RMT know if you experience any discomfort with positioning or pressure during your treatment as adjustments can always be made!
Broadway Wellness is a friendly and community focused clinic, offering services in the heart of Fairview – near Broadway & Oak. Our Vancouver clinic was established with a strong foundation in Registered Massage Therapy, and has expanded to encompass Naturopathic Medicine and Acupuncture, as a multi-disciplinary clinic. Please feel free to call us for more information at 604-732-5222 or book an appointment online.