Chia seeds seem to be gaining popularity at grocery stores everywhere. Are you curious to find out what they are all about? Dr. Krista Moyer, Vancouver Naturopath recently posted a blog about just that. Turns out that chia isn’t only good for a laugh and watching your terra cotta figurine come to life! Read her blog below.
Chia Seeds have been around since 1500 B.C., and only recently, have they started to regain popularity. And rightly so. ‘New’ health foods seem to pop up every few months claiming all sort of health benefits. During these times where health is exploding exponentially from year to year, chia is one health food that is well deserving of the spot light. Read on to discover why chia seeds can be an easy addition to your diet.
5 Reasons why you want to eat Chia Seeds:
1. Omega 3’s Chia seeds have an incredible amount of essential fatty acids, especially considering their size. With a 1 oz serving, you get an outstanding 5000mg of omega 3’s!
2. Fiber Chia seeds also have a high fiber content of 11 grams per 1 oz serving. Great for feeling fuller longer and slowing the release of sugar into the blood stream, thus keeping your energy levels stable.
3. Protein Chia seeds provide 5 grams of protein per 2 tbsp. A simple way to add protein to your morning oatmeal or shake.
4. Antioxidants Chia seeds also provide a bounty of vitamins and minerals, and as such, provides the body with a solid dose of antioxidants to help combat the high oxidative stress your body is constantly battling.
5. Weight Loss Among the many benefits are weight loss. One reason is the low glycemic load of chia – meaning that it does not spike blood glucose and thus no insulin spike occurs, which would otherwise drive glucose into your cells at a faster rate, resulting in an increased conversion to triglycerides – which is then stored in adipocytes (fat cells).
Your health is very much reflective of the food and the quality of the food that you put into your body. As such, Naturopathic Medicine utilizes nutrition as a powerful resource in getting you back on track and your body in a state of well balanced health. Give chia seeds a try and see what you think! If you have any questions about how Naturopathic Medicine can help you, please feel free to call the clinic at 604-732-5222. We have two amazing Naturopathic Doctors, Dr. Krista Moyer and Dr. Mark Cseszko, who are both welcoming new patients!
Broadway Wellness is a friendly and community focused wellness centre, based around a group of Vancouver RMTs, with complimentary focus on naturopathic medicine, and as a chiropractic clinic, offering services in a beautiful and expansive centre, conveniently located in the heart of Fairview – near Broadway & Oak, in Vancouver BC, Canada.