Has your massage therapist ever suggested that you take a bath with a cup or so of Epsom salts following your massage treatment? Ever wondered why? In addition to their effect on sore muscles there is a lot of great uses for Epsom salts!
There are a number of benefits to using Epsom salts- scientifically known as hydrated magnesium sulfate. Magnesium is the keyword there, as well as the major benefit. As stated in the article we’ve linked to below, “It is the second most abundant element in human cells and the fourth most important positively charged ion in the body. It helps the body regulate over 325 enzymes and plays an important role in organizing many bodily functions, like muscle control, electrical impulses, energy production and the elimination of harmful toxins.”
Unfortunately, due to changes in our society’s diet and agriculture, our magnesium levels have dropped by half and are at an even more rapid decline because of today’s more commonly ingested processed foods.
Here are some benefits of Epsom salts, to name a few…
- Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
- Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
- Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
- Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
- Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
- Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
- Improved oxygen use.
- Improved absorption of nutrients.
- Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins.
- Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
Time for a bath?
For more information and to read the original article: Health Benefits of Epsom Salts.
Broadway Wellness is a friendly and community focused, Vancouver massage therapy based clinic, with additional focus on naturopathic medicine, and acupuncture, offering services in a beautiful and expansive centre, conveniently located in the heart of Fairview – near Broadway & Oak, in Vancouver BC, Canada. Book your appointment online here, or give us a call at 604-732-5222.